General Manufacturing in Water and Wastewater Treatment
General Manufacturing in Water and Wastewater Treatment & Water preparation processes comprise a wide range of technologies and physical-chemical methods.
Methods must be selected with a view to the purpose of the use of the prepared water – the preparation of potable water requires a different approach from, e.g., the preparation of cooling water, feed water for boilers, or process water
Potable water preparation plants for municipalities, waterworks companies – refurbishment, intensification
Preparation of very clean water – e.g., electrical industry, pharmaceutical and food-processing industry, feed water for boilers
Groundwater processing plants – in places where connection to the public distribution network is not possible
Rinsing water – glassworks, automotive industry, electrical industry, plastic production Cooling water
In the process a wide range of physical-chemical methods can be used, e.g.:
- Coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation – elimination of turbidity and colloid substances
- Filtration – mechanical filters to remove rough particles, sand filters
- Membrane processes – ultra-filtration, reverse osmosis Ion exchanger technologies – softening, removal of NO3 –, dealkalization, production of demineralised water
- Adsorption – arsenic removal, active carbon to remove foul odours and tastes
Degasification – reduction of oxygen, CO2, and radon (mostly groundwater) content
- Oxidation, reduction – Fe removal, chlorination to reduce microbial propagation.